You might like to know this

Gravatar
I do a lot of research into UNnatural foods and wanted to share this article as far as I can see Stevia is the only product I would consider using but fortunately I have beaten my sugar addiction. Fortunately? Well by determination rather than good luck!

The article comes from Mike Geary Nutrition Investigator

Does splenda damage your gut health?
Splenda®, also known as sucralose, is an artificial, chemical sweetener. You might eat lots of it without knowing in certain "light" foods, "reduced sugar", or other diet foods.

Despite advertisements stating "Made from Sugar, so it Tastes like Sugar", which attempt to confuse consumers, Splenda® is not natural and contains no elements of natural sugar.

You may also be surprised to learn that Splenda® contains chlorine. Yes, the same chlorine that goes in swimming pools. And here's the worst side effect:

Just like chlorine kills off micro-organisms in swimming pools, Splenda® and sucralose kill off healthy bacteria that lives in your gut -- healthy bacteria that is VITALLY important to virtually every aspect of your health.

Recently, a study at the University of Duke confirmed this very finding. Not only is sucralose a heavily-processed, chemical artificial sweetener, but it's also damaging to your gut health, which goes on to affect every other aspect of your health.

Here's a direct quote from that study:

"Splenda® suppresses beneficial bacteria and directly affects the expression of the transporter P-gp and cytochrome P-450 isozymes that are known to interfere with the bioavailability of nutrients. Furthermore, these effects occur at Splenda® doses that contain sucralose levels that are approved by the FDA for use in the food supply."

Did you know that 70-80% of your immune system finds it's home in your gut? In fact, there are more than 100 TRILLION living bacteria in your gut that control many aspects of your health, and due to things like the ingestion of artificial sweeteners like Splenda®, most folks have created a massive bacterial imbalance in their body.

But, it doesn't just stop with the use of Splenda® or other artificial sweeteners. There are MANY other factors that are contributing to the bacterial imbalances that MILLIONS of folks are silently suffering from all around the world... one of those other aspects is drinking chlorinated water from the tap. It's best to use a filter to filter out chlorine so you're not harming your gut flora.

Unlike the gut-damaging sucralose mentioned above, let's look at 10 foods that help to restore a healthy bacterial balance in your belly by killing off the bad bacteria while at the same time giving you loads more of the vitally important, beneficial bacteria that is so critical to both your health and fat loss goals.

Fortunately, my good friend and Registered Dietician, Brett Hall, has created a brand new report revealing the TOP 10 Gut-Cleansing Foods, and he's giving it away 100% FREE below. Download your free copy in a few seconds and get your hands on the Top 10 Gut-Cleaning Foods, 100% FREE, right here
Gravatar
Hi Pippa,

The purpose of the programme is to encourage people to move away from carbohydrates and to reduce their overall sugar consumption.

Whilst for certain individuals quitting cold turkey works well, others require a softer approach to re-educating their palate away from sugar.

Sucralose, unlike other sweeteners does not elicit an insulin response. The main aim of this programme is to stabilise insulin levels as weight loss is not about a reduction in calories but rather a stabilisation of hormones such as insulin.

Stevia is a natural extract, however the commercial brands used do have a level of chemical manipulation for health & safety reasons as well as for shelf life issues.

With regards to the gut being the focus of our health that is absolutely true. The food environment we currently live in is full of processed foods containing chemicals that are harmful to our gut. Not to mention that carbohydrate consumption also has undesired health effects such as inflammation causing damage to your gut lining. Reducing grain consumption is known to alleviate many metabolic diseases associated with inflammation of the gut.

Ensuring a healthy gut bacterial balance is crucial for health but also for weight loss and maintenance. This is why on the programme we encourage the use of yoghurt as this will help address any bacterial imbalance in the gut.

Taking all of this into consideration, the use of Splenda with the programme has no adverse health implications on your gut. Should you still want to discuss this in more detail you can call or email me on ruth.buttigieg@naturalketosis.co.uk

I hope all this helps.
Gravatar
Ruth I understand what you are saying however I STRONGLY disagree thy Splenda is harmless. So far it doesn't have the bad press that other FALSE sweeteners have but in my opinion it is quite WRONG TO MARKET IT AS "safe" and I encourage others to do their research.
Gravatar
Hi Pippa,

We certainly encourage individuals to do their research about everything, especially with regards to diet.

Consuming sucralose can be a contentious issue and it boils down to individual perspectives on health and well being. Splenda is a trademark whilst sucralose is the sweetener involved.

Here at Natural Ketosis we are committed to providing all the best advice on health and nutrition to our clients. We constantly monitor health developments and make it a point to incorporate this into our programme and advice.

Sucralose is the only alternative sweetener that does not elicit an insulin response thereby ensuring cravings are under control. Making the transition to a low-carb lifestyle can prove challenging especially when your palate craves sweet items (studies have shown that it is easier to give up cocaine than sugar).

Unlike other sweeteners which have been linked to adverse health issues, sucralose (not Splenda) has not.

Gravatar
Sorry to bring this up again but if you don't want to go down the sucralose route would something like Xylitol work instead? Not that I am planning on eating sugary foods on day 2 of my new diet but looking forwards I do want to know if I can use something like xylitol or surcalose in my cooking instead (cooking paleo cookies in the past has proven troubling because of the lack of sweetner (honey didn't work well)).

It's interesting because the various podcasts I listen to (I commute up to 4 hours a day) have suggested both stevia\truvia\xylitol as replacements for sugar (although demerara sugar has been suggested as well as it's not been processed as heavily as white sugar).
Gravatar
Simon it is beginning to be a big jungle out there re sugar and substitutes. I do think its sensible to keep away from sweet things and I am rapidly becoming quite savoury toothed! I agree about demerara and other unrefined sugars - the soft browns are great too! So my choice is to go for unrefined sugar rather than chemical alternatives. Alcohol features in some of them too so that isn't great! I haven't used sugar or substitutes regularly for a very long time.
Gravatar
Hi,

With regards to xylitol, this is a polyol and studies indicate that it is not picked up by insulin.

With regards to demerara sugar, whilst this is less refined than white granulated sugar, the body will still pick it up the same way as white sugar and illicit an insulin response.

There is debate about which sugar is "healthier" i.e. granulated white sugar vs natural sugar as found in fruits and honey. I suggest reading the Blog discussing winnie the pooh and his love of honey (in the blog section of the website).

When you are looking at maintaining weight, you may find, as pippah45 says, that your cravings for sweet items diminishes.
Post a new reply to You might like to know this in Scientific Research
Formatting

b i u quote url email