What Are the Symptoms of Ketosis?

Gravatar
Can you confirm the symptoms of Ketosis, I haven't been able to purchase the sticks yet so can't measure whether I am or not. How should my body be reacting whilst in Ketoisis?

I know the following:

Bad breath
Bloatedness

What else?
Gravatar
Hi FinnersD84,
The other sympoms of ketosis are headaches, lethargy, wobbly legs, nausea, not feeling hungry or a metalic taste in the mouth.

These symptoms are the best way of determining if you are in ketosis as the ketosticks are very unreliable, especially the further you get into the diet. If you are following the plan then your body will go into ketosis because it cannot survive off the carbohydrate content alone and so needs the fat as its energy source. However a lot of the time the sticks can read as negative so going by the way you feel is a lot more important.
Gravatar
Worrying I am in day 7 and don't have any of these symptoms at all. Day 3 was bad but with mood swings, bloated and feeling generally low. I wonder if I am doing something wrong?

I slightly (ok massively!) slipped on Sun i.e. ate a bagal and mars bar but even before I didnt have any of these symptoms.
Gravatar
Hi FinnersD84,

Everyone can have different degrees of these symptoms, some only have a slight headache for one day where as others can experience them for up to a week while some can have no symptoms at all. Everybody does respond diferently to it. Mood is another huge indicator of ketosis with general feelings of being low a key indiator. With you having the bagel and mars bar, this could have been enough to stop your body burning fat (ketosis) and begin using the carbohydrate again as its fuel.
As long as you are following the diet to the letter then there is no reason as to why ketosis wil not be induced.
Gravatar
It does pass although you feel like poo and want a duvet day
Hope you feel better soon
Gravatar
Rest assured for those of us that do get the symptoms they are short lived and you will feel heaps better in a few days time. Keep drinking the water to make sure you aren't dehydrated and if you feel really rotten give in and have a sleep and a hot water bottle.
Gravatar
Hi, I started the programme on Monday and have experienced painful headaches, lethargy (like I'd been sedated!)and really odd sensations in my legs - I think someone referred to it as wobbly legs. I can describe it as groin to toes growing pains with a disconnected feeling! Does anyone know what causes the wobbly legs? I had a brief look on the internet and all sorts of scary conditions were identified!! Also if I have such strong symptoms of ketosis why am I hungry all the time even though I am following the diet to the letter? I'd be really grateful if anyone has any scientific knowledge about it? Thank you in anticipation! Vicks.
Gravatar
finners - I didn't get many of the ketosis symptoms - but I had been following a similar plan and was almost caffeine free. Seems to me that its the heavy caffeine drinkers who have a really rough time at the beginning. I certainly suffered splitting headaches with caffeine withdrawal a while ago. Hope you are doing ok now. It gets easier not to cheat - I used to eat masses of mars bars - I couldn't face one now that's for sure!
Post a new reply to What Are the Symptoms of Ketosis? in Information on Ketosis
Formatting

b i u quote url email